About Fish Lobos
It all began with a dream and a rubber raft. Nearly 37 years ago, brothers Tom and Jim Alber discovered Puerto Lobos and fell in love at first sight. In the early years, they camped out just to make do. They bought the current house in 1998 and have since completely renovated it. It now serves as the official FISH LOBOS base camp.
For the last 16 years, Tom has been coming down on a monthly basis. Recently retired Jim will now join him to cook up delicious meals. They’ve put a lot of work into making this adventure a pleasure, but stress the fact that it isn’t fancy. They come down here to fish and to get away from it all. They want you to do the same thing!
For us, this is all about the fun of fishing. What we try to provide for our friends and family is a great outlet for everyone to enjoy the beauty of the Sea of Cortez.
Contact Tom: (480) 277-9255
Trip Summary and Details
CLICK HERE for a more detailed narrative of the trip.
- Trips run from Thursdays thru Mondays.
- NOTE: We will not leave early under any circumstance! If you think you may wish to leave early, plan on driving your own vehicle down with us.
- We leave Chandler, Az. at 3:30 am and arrive in Puerto Lobos around 11 am.
- Last stop for supplies is in Caborca where we will grab burritos and stock up on ice.
- Once we unload our gear, we’ll get the boat and fishing gear ready to go.
- We fish immediately if sea conditions allow us to launch the boat.
- We try to get out to the major rock structures for maximum fishing opportunities, typically 3-10 miles out.
- We usually fish til about 4:00 pm as it takes about an hour to get back to the beach.
- Back at the house, our staff cleans the fish and you get to relax and unwind.
- Dinner is usually between 6:00 – 7:00 pm. Cuisine is a mixture of Mexican-American (Chicken, Pork, Beef, Potatoes, Veggies). For special dietary needs, let us know.
- Evenings are spent relaxing on the porch or in cooler months, around our large fire pit. Stargazing is excellent down here.
- We sleep on cots with bedding, outside if the weather permits. We supply the sheets, blankets, pillows, etc.
- We awake at 6:00 am, have breakfast and launch the boat about 7:30 – 8:00 am.
- If we don’t get to launch because of sea conditions, there are a number of activities: ATV riding, beach combing, surf fishing, swimming and snorkeling, horseshoes, lawn games, etc.
- On Sunday afternoon, we secure the boat and gear and begin to prepare departure.
- We depart Puerto Lobos at 7:00 am on Monday mornings. We will stop in Caborca for burritos and if time permits, Sonoyta for souvenirs.
- We return to Chandler, Az. around 2:00 pm where we unload and divide up fillets. Fish will be rough cleaned in Lobos, so plan extra time that evening to immediately wash, cut and wrap fillets for freezing.
- Contact Tom: (480) 277-9255